Saturday, August 25, 2007

New Orleans: Still Water-logged

Fifteen years after Hurricane Andrew, I can still remember the horrible sound as it moved through my neighborhood. Our immediate area was spared major damage but lost many sprawling trees and thick foliage. The death and destruction will likely not be forgotten by anyone old enough to remember.

Almost seven years ago, a no-name tropical storm caused flooding on my street and my house was one of those completely flooded. My family walked throughout the house in thigh-high boots, it was unbelievable. Family memories were ruined and our home has never really recovered. To this very day I remember the water filling our home and there was nothing we could do but try to put things on counter tops to try to salvage them. I still get minor anxiety attacks when the water level covers our sidewalks during heavy rains. Not to mention one of the cats we never saw again when we had to move out of the house for a few days.

The second anniversary of Hurricane Katrina is fast approaching; has the Gulf Coast been rebuilt? No. I can only imagine the trauma the Katrina survivors experienced and the nightmares they must have.

Here's my tribute to the FEMA victims and Hurricane Katrina survivors. They are both re-mixes of the Kanye West song "Golddigger" by Houston-based rapper, The Legendary K.O. They are both powerful videos and there is profanity in the lyrics.

To all Gulf Coast residents, go back home as soon as you can and don't sell your land no matter how much the Trump land-grabbers offer. This is an opportunity to make New Orleans and the rest of the Gulf Coast better.

***WARNING: EXPLICIT LANGUAGE***

theblacklantern

grassrootinnovation

By the way, I think George Bush doesn't care about broke people, regardless of their ethnicity.

Voices of New Orleans (Blog)

No comments:

Subscribe to these blogs!


Myspace Maps